What are your besetting sins? You most likely have some idea of what they may be. Usually it is the one thing you have confessed over and over again. If it is something physical then it is probably much easier to recognize but maybe not much easier to fight. We need to remember that it could take years to conquer, but if we remain faithful to God, He will cause the walls to crumble and we will gain more freedom and strength for the next battle.
Here are some thoughts on conquering our “Besetting Sins”:
- Identify the “Besetting Sin” that you need to do battle against then write it down and write down a concrete plan to “make the walls fall.”
- Don’t keep secrets with the devil. Satan is the prince of darkness and he wants us to keep his work a secret. Tell someone about your struggles. Confess them for the first time if you haven’t already. Remember Ephesians 5:11: “Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.”
- Work on building your will and virtue in less serious struggles of your life. Use other opportunities and temptations to build virtue. We may be weak to certain temptations but we should be ever more aggressive against temptations we aren’t as susceptible to.
- Remember God is in control. Remain faithful to God and grow in love. Eventually the “Walls” will crumble.
- Remember that the walls of Jericho were nothing to the strength of the Lord. Every time we receive our Lord in communion we must beg Him to push evil out of our heart which is His home.