I had the amazing opportunity to spend a summer, during high school, working a few days a week for a man named Bobbie J. Cavnar. Bobbie was a great leader in the Charismatic Renewal. He taught me a lot of things about Charismatic Spirituality, but there were a few things I wish more people knew and understood. I share them now.
- Charismatic Spirituality is not first and foremost about the gifts but about total surrender to God. This is the heart of it all. Surrender everything: body, mind and soul.
- The importance of Praise. He taught people how to praise God because he knew that true and sincere praise led to full surrender and therefore the Holy Spirit working fully in your life.
- Discernment comes from rejection of sin and secularism. Discernment is sometimes a Charismatic gift from God, but Bobbie taught me that the most important aspect in being able to discern is getting sin (especially pride) out of your life.
- Humility is essential to sincere spirituality. He was really one of the most humble men I have ever met. He was troubled by the pride he saw in the world and in the Charismatic Renewal.
- Healing comes from focus on Christ and Praise not from focus on us or long, wordy prayers. I personally witnessed Bobbie pray over at least 3 people who received emotional and at least one physical healing. He never said anything during the prayer other than praising God. I mean this literally. He prayed in tongues and he praised. That was it. (I wish more Charismatics understood why he prayed that way.)
- The Primacy of the Sacraments and the Church. He was a daily communicant and on more than one occasion he explained to me the link between full surrender to God and frequent communion and confession. I would try to relay it here but I couldn’t do it justice.
Bobbie was “Baptized in the Spirit” after hearing Psalm 150 in the form of a song. There is power in Praise. I share Psalm 150 below.
Praise the LORD!
Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty firmament!
Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his exceeding greatness!
Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp!
Praise him with timbrel and dance; praise him with strings and pipe!
Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals!
Let everything that breathes praise the LORD!
Praise the LORD!
Bobbie J. Cavnar Rest in Peace