When we pray the Name we recall the amazing gift of redemption accomplished by Jesus. The entire mystery of salvation is summed up in that one word: Jesus. When we pray the name of Jesus we offer to God the merits of salvation won on the Cross once and for all. We recall the healing, deliverance, forgiveness, mercy, death and resurrection of Jesus every time we pray his name. The name of Jesus is a scourge to demons because it recalls who we belong to, who destroyed their power, who died and rose again. They flee at the name of Jesus because He has conquered them. We must trade all other names and words for that one name by which we can be saved. Each and every Christian should develop a devotion to the precious and sweet name of Jesus. It has been the devotion of many saints and holy people of God.
Here are some thoughts on devotion to the precious name of Jesus:
- Cultivate devotion to the name by making a conscious effort to invoke Him over and over again. Constantly bring your self back to praying the name of Jesus.
- Remind yourself what that name means: Redemption, Love, Truth.
- Root out all foul language and taking of the Lord’s name in vain: We must prepare our mouths to confess His name with purity and integrity.
- Use the name of Jesus to be a constant scourge to the principalities and powers of this present darkness saying, “Jesus, vanquish those infernal beings.”
- Write the name of Jesus on cards and put them around you as reminders and protectors.
- Let it be the last word you say before drifting off to sleep and the first name you call on when you wake up.
I will protect him, because he knows my name. Psalm 91:14
They shall see his face, and his name shall be on their foreheads. Revelation 22: 4