This can be a scary thought. Why? When we decide to listen to what God is saying to us He may say something we don’t like. When we ask Him for His will and His perspective then we know the Truth and we don’t always like the Truth.
It isn’t easy to add listening to our prayer. I have tried so hard to clear my mind, thinking that only then would I be able to hear that “still small voice” of God. This constant struggle to clear my mind went on for a long time. Mother Nadine of The Intercessors of the Lamb is an expert at teaching people to listen to God and she said to practice active listening which she describes as “asking specific questions”. This helped immensely because I didn’t necessarily need to just wait with an empty mind to hear whatever God had for me I could ask the deep questions of my heart. If we start this way then God will lead us into deep communication from His heart to ours.
Here are some thoughts that helped me develop listening:
- Believe, expect, and trust. Believe that God wants to speak to you. Expect that God will speak to you and Trust when you hear Him.
- Make time to listen to God. If we don’t make time we will never hear Him.
- This is not about God giving you messages for the world it is about God communicating with you as a friend and Father. He has a personal love message for you. (be careful when you think you have a message for someone else or when someone says that God told them something for you)
- Practice active listening: Ask questions.
- Mother Nadine says if God speaks to you it will be simple because He sees us as children. (Thank God for that)
- Ask for confirmation. If you think God has spoken to you ask Him for a scripture or something to confirm it.
- Get sin out of your life. Sin clouds everything.
Listen to Him…Matthew 17:5