First he defines Sin as “a thought, a word, an action contrary to the law of God.”
Next he defines each of the Capital Sins:
- Pride is an untrue opinion of ourselves, and untrue idea of what we are not.
- Avarice is an inordinate love of the goods of this world.
- Lust is the love of pleasures that are contrary to purity.
- Envy is a sadness which we feel on account of the good that happens to our neighbor.
- Gluttony is an inordinate love of eating and drinking.
- Anger is an emotion of the soul which leads us violently to repel whatever hurts or displeases us.
- Sloth is a kind of cowardice and disgust which makes us neglect and omit our duties rather than do violence to ourselves.
These are simple definitions but read prayerfully and reflectively you may shed light on sin in your life that you haven’t previously identified.
Loosen us O’ Lord form the bonds of our sins…