Here are some questions I would ponder before choosing a spiritual director:
- Have about 100 people told you they go to him for Spiritual Direction? This can sometimes be a good sign but its been my experience that it is usually not. Most people are looking for someone to affirm their spiritual life and not call them on. Also, spiritual direction shouldn’t be something that is trendy. Its not a club or a cult. It should always bring us closer to Christ and out of the pride that plagues us.
- Does the person exhibit extraordinary holiness? Don’t you want to be a saint? Then find someone who wants it even more than you.
- If he is a Priest or Religious? does he pray the Liturgy of the Hours?
- Does he exhibit an extraordinary spirit of humility?
- Is he a person who has cultivated a spirit of silence and solitude? I know you may be wondering how you would ever know this but if you are praying for a Spiritual Director God will reveal little things to you.
- Does he pray the rosary daily? You are going to want advice from someone who is in the heart of Our Lady.
- Does he frequent the sacrament of confession? Again you will be amazed at what God will show you when you are earnestly praying for a spiritual director.
- When you ask him for advice, and you explain yourself clearly, does he seem to know exactly what you are saying and where you are coming from? Chemistry is important in the relationship.
- Would he clearly tell you when you are wrong? You are looking for a spiritual director not a “yes” man.
- Does he fast often? This will eventually become an important part of your life.
- Above all does he exhibit a tenacious effort to become more like Christ?
Dear Jesus, my desire is to grow closer to you. Each and everyday I hope to journey away from my sin and in to your arms. I do not know what is around the next corner but I will remain faithful to the journey. Send me your messengers, Lord, to light the way and guide in the progress. Above all, Lord, teach me to be submissive to you. Amen